[Fixed] Meta Description not working

Stephen FOrde
Topics: 1
Replies: 4

Hello, Google is not reading the meta title description and instead taking a paragraph from the home page (brand search). 

Can I please get some info on fixing this.  

01/05/2015 10:51:22

Lee Mason
Topics: 174
Replies: 407

Google isnt going to automatically update its records when you change something on your site, you have to give there crawlers time to access and proccess your sites content after the changes have been made, this can take anything from a few seconds to a few months depending on your sites popularity.

Its also good to remember google doesnt automatically use the meta description tag by default. It will proccess your whole page and use all the information available (including the meta description tag) to compile what it feels is the best extract of information to display in its search results.

There isnt any software in the world that can force google to use specific information, all we can do is provide the right information in the right places and allow googles algorythm to work its magic.

Director at No Half Pixels Ltd.

01/05/2015 13:39:23

Stephen FOrde

On a keyword search say "whmcs SEO plugin" I might agree with you however but generally Google will check for meta description on brand search ie "company name". 

In fact Google was grabbing my dmoz description so I added noodp tag and used wmt to fetch the index, and it updated over night.

I haven't seen this's said in about 4 years, so has me perplexed. 

01/05/2015 14:34:54

Stephen FOrde

Just had another thought. The addon requires I enter index.php to update root title however index.php has 301 redirect to strip this version on my site

Do do you think that may be causing the issue ? . 

01/05/2015 14:40:50

Lee Mason
Topics: 174
Replies: 407

Hi stephen,

Regarding the index.php file yes that may be an issue as the addon can only add tags to whmcs pages, if you redirects going elswhere that may have an effect.

As far as google indexing is concerned, im not an authority on optimisation so cant confirm or deny what your thoughts are regarding the description.

All i can say is that as long as the module is adding the meta description tag to the head section of your website its working correctly. the module can only give you the tools to perform seo, it cant gurantee specific ratings, descriptions etc on google as they interpret the tags as they see fit, the module just provides the tags for them to consume.

Director at No Half Pixels Ltd.

01/05/2015 15:58:40